Words, Symbols and Pictures
This set of ideas, resources and materials help students develop a greater understanding of the language used in science. Reinforcing keywords helps students to become more familiar with scientific vocabulary, enabling them to progress with more confidence. The approaches here could easily be used in other areas of the curriculum. The resources are:
- Rainforest and Symbols: An interactive information resource on the subject of the rainforest. Each page of information has been produced in standard text and symbol supported text versions.
- Equipment Flashcards: Photographs, line diagrams and the names for the main pieces of science equipment in a science laboratory.
- Odd One Out: A PowerPoint quiz where the students have to chose the odd one out for each question. Example quizzes on states of Matter and physical properties are included and the blank template can be easily used to create your own quizzes.
- Word Banks and Keywords: A selection of word banks including all the new vocabulary that is introduced in science.
- Speed Pairs: a quick game, for up to four pupils, to recap and reinforce their knowledge of some aspects of physical processes.
- Life is Loopy: Question loops are a quick and effective game for revising and recapping subject knowledge.
- Bingo Games: two examples for reinforcing and revising science knowledge, including 50 individual bingo cards to use in class.
The rainforest interactive resource is provided by ASE and it includes images and information that is presented in text and symbol supported versions. The other resources provide ideas and examples on how you could be using symbols in your teaching to clarify meaning and understanding. The rainforest website can be...
These flashcards provided by ASE can be used in a variety of ways to help students familiarise themselves with the names of scientific equipment. The flashcards show the name, a coloured photograph and a two-dimensional line diagram for the main scientific equipment that you will find in a science laboratory.
This ASE PowerPoint quiz game ia aimed to liven up topics revision and reinforce vocabulary. The presentation includes two sets of questions on solids, liquids, gases and physical properties. They challenge students to find the "odd one out" from four options provided. A paper version of the question options and...
This ASE collection of science wordlists has been developed with a view to supporting students' progression in science. The resource has keyword lists of new vocabulary encountered each year of secondary science. The wordlists are based on the National Curriculum,...