Promote good progress and outcomes by pupils
- be accountable for pupils’ attainment, progress and outcomes
- be aware of pupils’ capabilities and their prior knowledge, and plan teaching to build on these
- guide pupils to reflect on the progress they have made and their emerging needs
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of how pupils learn and how this impacts on teaching
- encourage pupils to take a responsible and conscientious attitude to their own work and study
A document about developing progression in science investigations including a look at some indicators of a student's level from the university of Cambridge.
Ideas for effective teaching and learning.
For an article discussing how the mastery approach can support pupil progress in mathematics, this is a useful overview.
Progression of key ideas in the primary science curriculum.
Video clip showing a teacher asking children to consider the ways in which they learn and help them to take ownership of their own learning.
Short video which looks at how a Year Two child learns science throughout a lesson.
Videos demonstrating how everyone can do maths and the importance of deep learning.
This set of charts shows key models and images to support the teaching of mental calculation strategies across the primary phase.
Charts showing progression of key calculation skills across the primary phase.
Mathematics progression maps using topic headings as they appear in the National Curriculum.
Progression of enquiry skills from EYFS to KS3
Practical tips for breaking instruction down for students who find it hard to follow directions.
- Higher order thinking skills
- How Much Progress Do Children in Shanghai Make Over One Academic Year? Evidence From PISA
- Learning mathematics—letting the pupils have their say
- Oh no, not this again! Improving continuity and progression from primary to secondary science
- Principles and Big Ideas of Science Education
- Understanding and enhancing pupils’ learning progress in schools in deprived communities
- Working with big ideas of science education
- Assessing Children’s Mathematical Knowledge: Social Class, Sex and Problem Solving
- Beginning Teaching, Beginning Learning: In Early Years And Primary Education
- Formative Assessment for Teaching and Learning
- How Children Learn: From Montessori to Vygotsky - Educational Theories and Approaches Made Easy
- Key Ideas in Primary Mathematics
- Teaching for Mathematical Understanding: Practical ideas for outstanding primary lessons
- The Elephant in the Classroom: Helping Children Learn and Love Maths
- Understanding How Young Children Learn: Bringing the Science of Child Development to the Classroom