Run by the STEM Ambassador and Student Facing programme teams, STEM Learning are launching their second national online mentoring scheme.
Designed to help young people explore their future career options in STEM, a six-week mentoring programme is open to 14 – 16 year olds with a 10-week programme for 16 – 18 year olds.
For those across Years 10 & 11 (or equivalent S3/S4, Year 11/12 NI), young people will have the opportunity to focus on career insights and chat to trained STEM Ambassadors via a secure and moderated online messaging system. Those in Years 12 & 13 (or equivalent S5/S6, Year 13/14 NI) will be mentored on ‘life after school’ - whether that's Higher Education, Apprenticeships or preparing for employment.
Those taking part will receive:
- One to one support and inspiration from a DBS or PVG checked STEM Ambassador
- Training on how to use the secure and moderated messaging system
- Support and resources to help them make informed decisions about their future.
All young people from across the UK are invited to apply, and there is no limit on the number of mentees being able to access the programme from any one school or college. Cohort start and end dates are outlined below: -
- Cohort 1: Years 10 & 11, to run 8th Nov – 17th Dec (6 weeks) - Closed to new sign ups
- Cohort 2: Years 10 & 11, to run 24th Jan – 4th Mar (8 weeks) - Closed to new sign ups
- Cohort 3: Years 12 & 13, to run 24th Jan – 1st April (10 weeks) - Closed to new sign ups
- Cohort 4: Years 12 & 13, to run 4th April – 10th June - OPEN FOR REGISTRATION
Young people should sign up here to access this great opportunity. The deadline for mentees to sign up for the first cohort has now passed. Applications received after this date will be put forward for the next cohorts due to start at the end of January 2022.
If you're an Ambassador and have any questions relating to the mentoring programme, please check out the FAQs below,
We've also created a list of FAQs specifically for teachers:
If you are a STEM Ambassador interested in taking part as a mentor, please fill out this sign up form.
For any further queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.