Become a Grand Challenge Careers Champion
Adapted from the successful and highly impactful STEM Insight programme, Grand Challenge Placements are a unique opportunity to learn what future technologies will offer in terms of careers and job roles, from the very people who are developing those future technologies right now.
Careers leaders and teachers will spend up to a week with a Grand Challenge industry employer. They will see research and development in practice and learn from the very people who are developing future technologies right now. Through their placement, participants will understand the importance of thinking ahead, that the jobs of today are not necessarily the jobs of tomorrow and will also learn what skills young people will need to succeed in the future.
Placements will be offered at locations across the UK between May and August 2019. Register your interest by 31 March 2019 to be among the first to find out further details when we release them.
There are 40 placements available, don't miss out!
What support will I receive?
Every participant is supported by bespoke CPD before and after the placement, and will emerge as a Grand Challenge Careers Champion with the skills and confidence to articulate to young people the importance of STEM skills to future careers which will enable them to adapt to changing job markets, in five years’ time and beyond.
Each participant will be supported by a bursary of £1,000 (payable to their school, college or establishment).
Attending a placement
"Before the programme, I didn't feel I had sufficient knowledge of STEM careers to talk with confidence. Now I am equipped with up-to-date knowledge, real examples and experiences as well as strong industry links that can benefit the whole school."
- Insight into industry placement - Alice Kupara, subject leader of ICT and computer science
Why should I get involved?
Impact on career leaders and teachers
- professionally life-changing, increased enthusiasm, motivation and confidence
- better informed to offer advice and guidance on potential career choices
- pre and post-placement online and face-to-face CPD to help turn your experience into effective action
Impact on young people and parents
- increased awareness of the importance and relevance of Grand Challenge themes to society, and the role these will play in relation to people’s everyday lives and the UK economy
- increased knowledge of future career pathways available to young people who study STEM subjects and gain the STEM skills needed to adapt to working with new technologies and the opportunities they present, improving life choices
- increased enjoyment and engagement in Grand Challenge themed curricular and extra-curricular activities
- greater understanding of apprenticeships and their value
Impact on schools or colleges
- equips schools and colleges to respond to the Government Careers Strategy and transform careers guidance
- motivational STEM teaching enriched with real-world context and examples
- meets Gatsby benchmarks 4, 5 and 6
- builds a community of practice, with a network of school/industry experts who can support other colleagues in schools and colleges