Experience a rocket launch and get a taster of the UK CanSat Competition
ESERO-UK has an opportunity for teams from schools to get their first experience of the UK CanSat competition by launching a can-sized object on a rocket.
This March, there will be a chance for schools who are not already taking part in the competition to launch their first CanSat to several hundred metres in height, using a rocket. Thanks to additional funding from the UK Space Agency, regional events are taking place across the UK and any secondary school, sixth form or FE college can apply.
Places are limited, and preference will be given to schools who have already submitted reports to ESERO-UK as part of the UK CanSat Competition this academic year. For each school that is accepted and attends, there is a £400 bursary towards travel and cover costs.
The locations are as follows:
- Knaresborough - 4 March 2020
- Cambridgeshire - 10 March 2020
- Cambridgeshire - 11 March 2020
- Staffordshire - 18 March 2020
- Ayrshire - 24 March 2020
Application deadline 20 February 2020.
Rules and Requirements
- Teams range from between 4 and 10 students, aged 14 to 19 years old. One or two teachers must accompany the team to the launch site.
- Teams must arrange their own transport to the site and bring a packed lunch with them.
- Teams will be notified if they have a place by 22 February 2020.
- Only teams that have already submitted reports to ESERO-UK for the 2019/2020 competition can take part in the National Finals in April 2020.
- Teams must bring a CanSat that meets the set requirements, but does NOT need fully functioning electronics - please visit here for more information on CanSat specification.
As part of the One Million Interactions programme, STEM Ambassadors are also invited to attend regional events for the UK CanSat Competition. We would really like to create more links between CanSat schools and STEM Ambassadors in future years.
STEM Ambassadors - if you would like to get involved, then please email email@example.com indicating which event you would like to attend.