Mission Discovery Space & STEM Summer School
MISSION DISCOVERY @ KING'S COLLEGE LONDON,
6TH - 10TH JULY, 2020
ISSET’s Mission Discovery Summer School programme is a great opportunity for ordinary students to do something extraordinary.
UK and international students from ages 14 - 18 get to work with NASA Astronauts, rocket scientists and NASA personnel for a week.
In teams, students will propose an idea for their own science experiment; the best idea will be launched into space and carried out by Astronauts aboard the International Space Station.
We take over 200 students a year, broken up into teams of 6-8. We team people according to age and try to achieve an equal gender split per team. You can request to be in the same team as another student (please send us an email prior to the programme).
With help from brilliant Astronauts, NASA role models, Astronaut trainers, NASA personnel, scientists and engineers; students will learn about space and STEM through a variety of exhilarating hands-on activities, based on themes such as:
- NASA leadership and team building
- How space exploration benefits life on Earth
- Experiencing the environment of space
- Looking at different kinds of experiment and what makes them great
- How you succeed in your dreams and ambitions
The cost for the programme is £540. Limited spaces are also available for a residential place (this is advised for those based outside of London). The Residential package is £555 extra; which covers accommodation, meals and 24-hour supervision. The Residential package starts from 5pm on Sunday 9th July.
*Achieve your DofE Gold with Mission Discovery residential package
- Get your experiment carried out in space
- Meet & work with inspirational figures such as NASA Astronauts and NASA Leaders
- Work with world-renowned scientists from a variety of STEM fields
Learn how to:
- Work successfully in a team
- Plan the execution of a project
- Achieve a goal
- Follow efficiently and lead effectively
- Deliver a persuasive presentation
- Confidently speak in public
- Make your UCAS application stand out!
- Achieve your Duke of Edinburgh's Gold award
The STEM Directory is provided as a service to support you in finding enrichment opportunities. The activities are offered by external providers and are not endorsed by STEM Learning. We are not responsible for their content or delivery.
Grants for school
The Royal Institution runs two enrichment and enhancement grant schemes. Grants of up to £500 are available to UK-registered state schools to host a STEM activity selected from the STEM Directory.
There are a number of other organisations that offer grants to schools.
|Published||06 December 2017|
|Last modified||12 August 2019|
|Nature of scheme||Project for students|
|Subject(s)||Careers, Engineering, Science, Earth science|
|Running times||1 day-1 week|
A residential package is also available for an additional £555.
|Log in to rate this resource|