FIRST LEGO League Jr.
FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. is an exciting science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) programme for 6-9 year olds. Each year a theme relevant to the world around them is chosen as a focus for the children’s work. The teams research the topic, displaying their ideas on a Show Me poster, build a LEGO® model and program one part to move using LEGO® Education WeDo 2.0 software.
- Form a team of up to six children, ages 6 to 9. You can form this team however you like — through a school, as a family, with a community group or just a group of friends!
- Choose an Expo and register to take part. Once you have registered and paid, you'll be sent an Inspire Set (big box of LEGO®), six Engineering Notebooks and a Team Meeting Guide, which will help you organise your team and guide them through the Challenge.
- Purchase a LEGO® Education WeDo 2.0 set. These are available from any LEGO® Education distribution partner or through our Official partner Raising Robots. You will need the WeDo 2.0 to program the model.
- Work through the Team Meeting Guide to complete the Challenge and allow the children to develop their poster and model.
- Bring your team to the nearest Expo where they'll present their work to other teams, share what they have learnt and celebrate their achievements. Each child receives a medal and certificate and the goal is to send them home feeling incredibly proud of what they have achieved!
FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. rapidly develops teamwork, design, programming and communication skills, but the most important thing is that it is great fun and makes the children feel proud of what they have achieved!To book this activity, please contact:
The STEM Directory is provided as a service to support you in finding enrichment opportunities. The activities are offered by external providers and are not endorsed by STEM Learning. We are not responsible for their content or delivery.
|Published||28 May 2019|
|Last modified||28 May 2019|
|Nature of scheme||Project for students|
|Subject(s)||Careers, Computing, Design & Development, Cross curricular, Design and technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Personal development, Science, Practical work, Enquiries and investigations, STEM Clubs|
|Running times||Over 8 weeks|
Cost (exc. VAT) for team registration. Team requires access to a LEGO WeDo 2.0.
|Log in to rate this resource|