Produced in 2015, this resource looks at Human survival in a closed system on Mars.
Student activities include:
• Identify the basic requirements for Human life on Earth
• Understand the concept of a closed system and understand why the Earth, a space craft and Mars are all closed systems and how the basic conditions for life can be met in a closed system
• Carry out research into Project MELLiSA.
• Set up a Winogradski column to understand some of the different types of bacteria which are important to project MELLiSA
• Carry out research into ‘biosphere two’ and understand why the project ‘failed’
• Design and build a closed system or biosphere (terrestrial, freshwater or saltwater)