Produced in 2015, this resource looks at Human survival in a closed system on Mars.
Student activities include:
• Identify the basic requirements for Human life on Earth
• Understand the concept of a closed system and understand why the Earth, a space craft and Mars are all closed systems and how the basic conditions for life can be met in a closed system
• Carry out research into Project MELLiSA.
• Set up a Winogradski column to understand some of the different types of bacteria which are important to project MELLiSA
• Carry out research into ‘biosphere two’ and understand why the project ‘failed’
• Design and build a closed system or biosphere (terrestrial, freshwater or saltwater)
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.