Novel Materials and Smart Applications
This booklet is part of the ‘Innovations in Practical Work’ series published by the Gatsby Science Enhancement Programme (SEP). Novel materials have surprising properties which make them useful in many applications. The interesting and unusual behaviours of these new materials can generate excitement amongst students which can be harnessed in the classroom. This booklet includes a range of ideas and suggestions for two kinds of activities. One set of activities focuses on the materials themselves and an understanding of their properties. The other shows how novel materials can be used to illustrate some key scientific ideas.
The Novel Materials and Smart Applications booklet contains an illustrated overview of the topic with suggestions for teachers on how to introduce the ideas in the classroom, plus student activity sheets and notes for teachers and technicians.
The downloadable resources include:
• Student activities: zip files containing the activity sheets in PDF and editable Word formats.
• PowerPoint presentations: these contain a complete set of the images used in the booklet and activity sheets.
The ‘Innovations in Practical Work’ publications are supported by low-cost practical resources available from Mindsets:
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.
- Novel materials and smart applications
- PDF files
- Word files
- Novel materials in the classroom (part 1)
- Novel materials in the classroom (part 2)
- Novel materials in the classroom (part 3)
- Student activities
- Web resource sheets
- Novel materials and smart applications - useful links
|Subject(s)||Physics, Chemistry, Science|
|Published||2010 to date|
Share this resource
This resource is part of SEP: Materials by Design
- SEP: Materials by Design
- Novel Materials and Smart Applications