This resource, from the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI) At Work With Science series, includes two activities to help students with job applications and understanding what employers need from their employees. The tasks encourage students to examine curriculum vitae, assess their effectiveness and then match them to appropriate job descriptions. Picking the Team is intended for use at key stage four as part of students' Personal Social and Health Education (PSHE) or work related learning. It also supports aspects of GCSE Science courses relating to what scientists do. The activity could also be incorporated in a programme of work for post-16 students following applied and vocational courses.
The aims of the activity are to enable students to:
- Become familiar with the type of information supplied in a curriculum vitae
- Become familiar with the type of information supplied in a job description
- Find out about the types of job opportunities which exist in the pharmaceutical industry
- Become familiar with the organisation of industry.
It also helps to offer a context within which:
- Applying for jobs can be discussed
- The selection of staff by companies can be considered
- Equal opportunities may be discussed
- Stereotypes may be explored