Episode 500: Preparation for Quantum Physics Topic
This topic, from the Institute of Physics, help to relate how quantum physics is relevant to everyday life, such as its application in modern electronics. The topic contains two learning episodes. Each is a self-contained unit of learning that takes typically one or two lessons.
The learning episodes in this topic are:
Episode 501: Spectra and energy levels
Episode 502: The photoelectric effect
Completion of these learning episodes gives students the opportunity to:
1. know that atoms absorb and emit light as quanta (photons)
2. explain how this is used to explain emission spectra
3. know how to calculate photon energies
4. describe the photoelectric effect, and explain it in terms of photons and electrons
5. describe an experiment to determine Planck’s constant using the photoelectric effect.