Teaching Key Stage 3 physics for non-scientists NY304
Learn and develop your subject knowledge on Key Stage 3 physics to teach it confidently and effectively.
Are you teaching Key Stage 3 science for the first time? Develop your pedagogical and subject knowledge with a focus on the key principles needed to teach science effectively though the use of stimulating practical activities and demonstrations.
We will explore and refine the understanding of key topics including energy, motion, forces, waves, electricity and magnetism. We will look at cutting edge research that will link the learning to students' everyday lives and look at scaffolding the learning to show rapid and sustained progression.
Who is it for?
Non-scientists teaching Key Stage 3 physics.
What topics are covered?
This two-day course covers:
- electricity - building basic circuits and terminology
- energy - becoming confident in using the pathways and stores model
- forces - thought provoking independent investigations on moments and more
- motion - how this links to forces and seeing the bigger picture
- magnetism - gaining confidence in a difficult and abstract concept
Not sure yet? Here is a free taster which will give you a better understanding of what to expect once you join the course. Please note, this is a free short activity you can do in your own time.
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered face to face with participant tasks to be completed between sessions.
How long is this course?
This is a two-day intensive residential course.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- teach Key Stage 3 physics with increased confidence using a range of teaching strategies to assess students' prior understanding
- develop understanding and move learning forward at pace
- evaluate the impact of change within your teaching on students attitudes and outcomes