Teaching key stage 3 biology NY302
Develop your pedagogical and subject knowledge with a focus on the key principles needed to effectively teach Key Stage 3 biology.
- teaching key stage 3 science and need help to get your head around biological principles?
- would you like to understand the misconceptions students have, and how best to address them?
Teaching key stage 3 biology will develop your pedagogical and subject knowledge with a focus on the key principles needed to teach science effectively through the use of stimulating practical activities and demonstrations.
Who is it for?
- experienced teachers who are not scientists but are required to teach key stage 3 biology
- scientists who are not biology specialists or with limited experience delivering key stage 3 biology
What topics will be covered?
We will explore and refine the understanding of key topics such as cells, structure and function of living organisms, respiration, genetics and evolution.
Who are the course leaders?
Mary Howell: Secondary Biology Professional Development Leader at the National STEM Learning Centre. Mary is a former teacher of key stage 3-5 biology and science, an experienced head of subject and cross curricular learning coordinator.
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Pre or post night stays can be booked for an additional charge and are subject to availability. For more information email email@example.com
What will you achieve?
- develop your subject knowledge and understanding of key biology principles
- teach key stage 3 biology with increased confidence using a range of teaching strategies to assess students’ prior understanding
- tackle misconceptions and move learning forward
- evaluate the impact of change within your teaching on students attitudes, engagement and outcomes