Essential hands-on techniques and tools for scientific technical professionals HC026
Gain laboratory knowledge and handling skills to effectively perform on-the bench operations
The event is an opportunity for apprentices, new technicians, teachers, science graduates, research assistants and early researchers to develop their core laboratory hands-on skills and or refresh their laboratory training and skills on key equipment and techniques, to effectively operate in the wet science laboratory environment.
This 2 day intensive residential course is delivered at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, which can also be locally tailored and delivered, where required.
The workshop will utilise on-the-bench instructions and laboratory practical sessions to enhance your learning, develop hands-on skills and laboratory competencies, and build networks with colleagues in the cohort. The following key areas/objectives will be covered.
- Knowledge and practical insight on laboratory equipment, including balances, microscopes, spectrophotometers, pH meters, automatic pipettes
- Measurement skills: volume, mass, pH, concentration, solutions and titrations
- Hands-on microscopy and spectroscopy
- Laboratory quality management, assurance and control
- Health and safety: COSHH and laboratory risk assessments
- Developing and working with standard operating procedures
- Cryogenic safety, handling and applications: do’s and don’ts of carrying out laboratory analysis,
- Biochemical sample handling, storage, tracking, labelling and transport
- Handling laboratory gases and safety and working with microorganisms
- Managing and handling chemical waste
On completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Confidently prepare biochemical reagents, solutions and COSSH assessments
- Accurately, appropriately and safely prepare equipment used in the laboratory
- Standardise/calibrate balances, pH meters, microscopes & spectrophotometers
- Effectively perform on the bench science laboratory activities
- Gain laboratory hands-on skills and competency assessment certificate