Technicians supporting biology NY604
Improve your biology skills and knowledge in this 11-18 biology course.
Biology can often be seen as the science subject with few practicals that are engaging and work successfully. On this comprehensive course we will change that perception through a diverse range of practicals developed by ourselves and others, which will highlight that biology can be taught through exciting and effective practical work.
The content has been designed to fulfill the biology curriculum for 11 to 19 students and will include topics that will inspire pupils to attain in their biology qualifications. The sessions will explore practicals to support teaching and learning and the core practical students have to do.
The course has been developed on five main strands to make sure it is relevant to technicians. These five strands include where to source the equipment, how to set it up, how the practical runs in the classroom, scientific background to the practical and health and safety. A ‘cheap and useful’ session has been developed for this course. This will help you experience and take back to school simple biology equipment.
Who is it for?
Science technicians in secondary schools
What topics are covered?
This three day course covers:
- DNA technology
- microbiology (basic and advanced)
- biotechnology(including enzymes)
- physiology: Human health and dissections
- plant practicals
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered face to face with participant tasks to be completed between sessions.
How long is this course?
This is a three-day residential course.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- successfully implement new biology skills and knowledge acquired on the course
- identify key issues that are essential for effective performance in your role
- communicate with others to implement safe and effective biology practicals in your school or college
- prepare biology practicals from a range of sources, to engage students and others
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.