Essential science for the primary classroom NY062
Discover essential science subject knowledge and pedagogical approaches for the primary classroom.
A lack of detailed subject knowledge can sometimes mean primary teachers feel less confident teaching science. This course addresses this need by providing you with the specific, in-depth subject knowledge you need to effectively and confidently deliver the primary science curriculum.
Over the 4-day course you will participate in practical tasks aimed at bringing science learning to life. You will discover how to get children to ask and answer scientific questions and know what good enquiry looks like. You will also learn effective ways to embed sustainability and climate change within the primary science curriculum.
Through face-to-face teaching and through access to the online, self-paced course, Introducing assessment for learning, you will develop effective assessment strategies for improving children’s progress in primary science.
Who is it for?
Teachers and leaders of primary science.
What topics are covered?
This course consists of 4 days face to face which covers:
- subject knowledge development of physics, chemistry and biology up to key stage 3 level
- what does good enquiry look like?
- supporting children to ask and answer scientific questions
- assessing primary science
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered face to face
How long is this course?
4 day face to face residential
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- utilise a deep understanding of the scientific concepts within the primary science curriculum
- use practical and enquiry driven science in the primary classroom
- implement effective teaching strategies to improve the quality of science learning
- effectively use assessment for learning in primary science lesson
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.