Teaching and learning skills for technical staff HC001
Become equipped with the tools you need to teach and demonstrate and contribute effectively to the student experience.
Technical staff are increasingly taking on teaching and demonstrating roles. Whether it is one-to-one training on specific techniques, or small group training and demonstrating, this course will equip you with the tools you need to perform this role and contribute more effectively to the student experience. This course is recommended for technical staff with a role in training or teaching undergraduates, postgraduates, post-docs, new colleagues and apprentices. The content of the course has been designed to cover key topics, linking theories of teaching and learning together with workplace experiences thereby providing a more holistic approach to learning. It is relevant to all academic disciplines and will promote personal and professional development, which is valuable to both you and your employer.
Delivery will be by informal active learning sessions (group activities/discussion), discovery learning, reflection on current practice. Discovery learning forms a large part of this programme and as such collaboration amongst participants to discuss core concepts and reflect on current practice is actively encouraged in order to create a more tailored learning experience.
By the end of the 2 day workshop, participants will:
- Be aware of the steps involved in designing and delivering learning activities
- Be able to define appropriate, measurable learning outcomes
- Know how to design learning activities that provide a balanced approach to learning
- Have learned from practical application of your learning
- Have an awareness of relevant teaching and learning theory and methods
- Be able to suggest strategies used to create inclusive, engaging and motivating learning environments
- Have considered different approaches to learning and development in groups, and identified those applicable to their area
- Be able to design methods of assessment and feedback appropriate to their defined learning outcomes
This activity is subject to minimum group numbers but can be delivered on-site at your institution at a time and date to suit your team. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information.
For HEaTED members, we offer 1 free place for every 10 bookings, and 2 for groups of 15 or above.