Using manipulatives to enhance understanding and problem solving in primary mathematics MY005
Suitable for all primary teachers of mathematics, this two day practical CPD will explore using manipulatives and developing methods to enhance mathematical understanding and communication.
This exciting new CPD will encourage active learning in primary mathematics lessons with the use of different manipulatives.
Research suggests that the use of manipulatives is beneficial to all children's mathematical understanding, and can help children's retention, problem solving and reasoning.
During this course we will:
- explore the use of manipulatives to consolidate understanding from Year 1 to Year 6
- discover a hundred and one things to do with dice, dominoes, cubes, diennes and ten frames
- gain insights into problem solving using cuisenaire, bar modelling and geoboards
There will also be an optional evening session playing a selection of mathematical games.
This two day, residential, hands-on, practical experience is suitable for all teachers of mathematics in primary school.
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
You will be able to:
- explore a variety of resources available for use in primary mathematics
- develop methods for using manipulatives to enhance mathematical understanding and communication
- explore a wealth of resources which can be used in conjunction with manipulatives that are freely available in the National STEM Centre resource collection