Placement: University of Sheffield TY845
Discover how a leading university department supports their students and undertakes research into civil and structural engineering.
Location: University of Sheffield, Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Mappin Building, Mappin Street. S1 3JD
Placements are available during term times. Exact dates can be found at https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/about/dates
Each placement is supported by a £1,000 ENTHUSE bursary.
The final part of the programme is a one-day professional development experience, held two to six months after your placement.
This opportunity is suitable for STEM teaching professionals and/or professionals with additional responsibility for careers.
Going on a placement at Sheffield University Department of Civil and Structural Engineering will help you to:
- inspire your students – increase your own understanding of engineering by attending lectures and laboratory sessions for first and second year students with the option to attend more specialist lectures for final year students
- find out how the university uses physical and mathematical concepts to solve engineering problems and how these concepts are taught
- build strong links with a local university – connect with a local university to develop staff and student experiences, with the aim of creating a longer term partnership
- discuss the engineering teaching methods with the Director of Learning and Teaching and have an informal group interview with some of the university's current students to see how they have applied their knowledge and skills gained from school at university
- enhance your advice on careers options – help to boost your students’ confidence in making degree and career choices and gain useful information on the student admissions process
- work with members of the admissions team to see how you can better support your students when making university applications through UCAS, from both A level and BTEC routes
Information about the University of Sheffield
The Department of Civil and Structural Engineering (CSE) at the University of Sheffield is in the top civil engineering departments in the UK, with a particular track record in the research and teaching of structural analysis, water supply and flood protection, blast, fire, and earthquake engineering. CSE run undergraduate courses in civil engineering, civil and structural engineering, architectural engineering, structural engineering and architecture, and urban engineering and development, and this year welcomed a cohort of approximately 220 students into their first year.
Their researchers are involved in projects ranging from the treatment and transport of safe drinking water, to the design and analysis of buildings to resist extreme loading from explosions. As part of the placement they will arrange a seminar with some of their leading researchers to give an insight into their current research projects. They also teach a third year design module called the Integrated design project, in which students are given a blank slate and asked to conceive, develop, and ultimately provide detailed engineering design of multi-storey buildings, bridges, and foundations, of their chosen development.
This placement offers you an opportunity to:
- provide inspirational experiences for teachers, which will in turn help them to inspire their students
- support the transition between A-Level or vocational study and higher education, helping to highlight routes of study and future STEM related careers
- develop firmer links between your school or college and university
- equip your school or college in response to the Government’s careers strategy