Placement: Coventry University TY830
This is an opportunity to join either the Sport and Exercise Sciences or Biomolecular Sciences teaching and research teams in the School of Life Sciences.
Location: School of Life Sciences, Coventry University, CV1 5FB
Placements are available from the start of October to the middle of December (semester 1) and the end of January to the start of April (semester 2).
Each placement is supported by a £1000 ENTHUSE bursary.
The final part of the programme is a one-day professional development experience, held two to six months after your placement.
This opportunity is suitable for STEM teaching professionals and/or professionals with additional responsibility for careers.
Going on a placement at the Coventry University will help you to:
- inspire your students – increase your own understanding by attending lectures, seminars and laboratory sessions. Meet with students, researchers and lecturers working in the School of Life Sciences gain and insight into both A level and BTEC curricula
- build strong links with a local university – connect with a local university to develop staff and student experiences, with the aim of creating a longer term partnership. Help to boost your students’ confidence in making degree and career choices. Find out more about the skills and competencies required for a science-based career and gain ideas for future collaboration (e.g. work experience, mentoring, speakers)
- enhance your advice on careers options– gain useful information from student recruitment specialists on how to support students to make university applications through UCAS, from both A level and BTEC routes
This Coventry University placement will take place in either the Sports and Exercise or Biomolecular Science divisions of the School of Life Sciences.
In Biomolecular Sciences you will be able to experience lectures, workshops and labs including cell biology, microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology and genetics, human physiology and forensic science. You can gain hands on experience alongside our students in the laboratory including using more advanced techniques such as flow cytometry, PCR and cell culture.
In Sport and Exercise Sciences you can join classes covering biomechanics, exercise physiology and sports psychology, experience the training given to our Sports Therapy students and take part in physiology or physical activity based sessions.
In both disciplines, you will have the opportunity to meet research staff and students and appreciate how our applied research impacts on our student experience.
This placement offers you an opportunity to:
- provide inspirational experiences for teachers, which will in turn help them to inspire their students
- support the transition between A-Level and Higher Education, helping to highlight routes of study and future STEM related careers
- develop firmer links between school / college and university
- equip your school or college in response to the Government’s careers strategy