Teaching assistants in secondary mathematics MY212
Essential for any teaching assistants who support secondary mathematics, develop your knowledge and improve your role in supporting students' learning.
This is an essential course for teaching assistants who support learning in secondary mathematics. You may wish to develop your mathematical knowledge and/or improve how you support students in better understanding the mathematics. In this course you will explore ways of working that support students’ progress in mathematics, and also develop your knowledge of both mathematics content and pedagogy. During the course you will explore
- proportional reasoning
- fractions, decimals and percentages: making the links
- algebra with understanding
- progression in calculation
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Participants will be able to:
- use questioning to strengthen mathematical thinking
- develop reasoning and problem solving skills
- identify and resolve students’ misconceptions
- assess mathematical understanding
- strengthen literacy in mathematics