Teaching practical science: chemistry - available now NE705 / C21
1 Jul 22
Online Delivered CPD
Online, self-paced course. Participants can join and start this course at any time after the advertised date. Go beyond ‘recipe following’ and use practical work in chemistry to support explanation of theory.
It is essential that students studying chemistry are given the opportunity to practice and embed understanding of practical skills in preparation for the assessment of their learning. This online course allows you to discuss the relationship between theoretical concepts and practical work, challenging you to think about what is happening in the classroom and what your students are learning through practical work in chemistry.
On this course you’ll develop and share creative ways of teaching practical chemistry with approaches that are applicable to a range of curricula, for example GCSE required practicals and other practical syllabuses for 14-16 year old students.
Who is it for?
The course has been designed as CPD for teachers of chemistry to 14-16 year olds. Early career teachers, non-specialist teachers and returning teachers will particularly benefit. The course will also provide a range of approaches and opportunity for reflection for more experienced educators.
What topics are covered?
This course covers:
- practical work for 14-16 year olds for the following key topics: titration and salt preparation, rates of reaction, electrolysis.
- contextualising practical work in chemistry to the everyday environment.
- how progression in practical work impacts on students’ learning.
- assessment of learning through practical work.
- approaches to teaching practical science that can be applied to other topic areas.
How will you learn?
This online, self-paced course can be completed flexibly. Participants can join and start this course at any time after the advertised date. Find out how our online CPD works.
This course is not facilitated. You can learn independently or with colleagues to directly address your individual needs.
How long is this course?
This course takes around 9 hours to complete and you do not need to be online at any specific time. You can take the course at your own pace.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- improve your confidence in delivering and evaluating teaching for practical skills in chemistry for 14-16 year olds.
- define effective learning outcomes for practical work in chemistry.
- reflect on the effectiveness of practical activities on every students’ learning.
- design progression and assessment approaches within practical work.
- collaborate with colleagues to share and critique ideas for teaching practical science.
|Teaching practical science: chemistry||01 July 2022||00:00-00:00|
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£63.00 +VAT|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£81.00 +VAT|
Find out how our Online CPD works and how to make the most of your online professional development.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available