Effective health and safety for heads of science NY332 / A22
Effective health and safety (H&S) in science leads to better practical planning and improved outcomes for students. Heads of department are key to ensuring that health and safety is considered by all staff while being proportional to the risks involved.
This one day course will enable you to focus on the core areas of concern in science departments, while equipping you with the skills and knowledge to appropriately audit.
Who is it for?
Secondary heads of science.
What topics are covered?
- planning of purposeful practical work
- common areas of concern in science
- effective risk assessment
- auditing practical lessons, technician activities, teaching and storage spaces
- planning for emergencies
- identifying key training for your team
How long is this course?
This is a one day course, delivered face to face.
Who is the course leader?
I am the Science CPD Lead at the National STEM Learning Centre, York. With a chemistry and physics background, I have taught in a number of...
You will be able to:
- identify areas for development in your department
- challenge common misconceptions around what effective H&S actually is
- plan for training needs of staff
- be able to conduct effective audits of H&S in your department
- consider how effective your practical lessons are for students
|Session 1 - H&S misconceptions and common issues||04 February 2023||09:30-10:30||Virtual|
|Session 2 - What is effective risk assessment in practice?||04 February 2023||10:45-11:45||Virtual|
|Session 3 - Purposeful practical work in science||04 February 2023||12:30-13:30||Virtual|
|Session 4 - Auditing and monitoring||04 February 2023||13:45-14:45||Virtual|
|Session 5 - Identifying training and planning for emergencies||04 February 2023||15:00-16:00||Virtual|
Fees & Bursaries
Our remote CPD courses for teachers are delivered across a series of sessions run at specific times and dates. Information on all course sessions can be found under the description of each course. To complete a course, all sessions are mandatory.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available