Subject knowledge and leadership skills for new primary science leaders NY062 / A22
A lack of detailed subject knowledge can sometimes mean primary teachers feel less confident teaching science. This course addresses this need by providing you with the specific, in-depth subject knowledge you need to effectively and confidently deliver the primary science curriculum. Over the duration of the course you will become more confident in the biology, physics and chemistry aspects of the curriculum, with these sessions being delivered by subject experts.
You’ll also look at effective ways to lead science within your school and discover how to engage with your school colleagues to increase their confidence when teaching science. You'll participate in practical tasks aimed at bringing science learning to life and plan how to ensure skills and knowledge progression is embedded within your whole school curriculum.
As well as subject knowledge development, you'll look at effective assessment strategies, ways to enrich the science curriculum and successful ways to monitor science and support your colleagues to develop their science teaching.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- key stage 3 level subject knowledge development of physics, chemistry and biology
- what does good enquiry look like?
- raising the profile of science in your school
- the role of the subject leader
- assessing primary science
- leading and improving the quality of science in your school
- action planning an engaging and progressive science curriculum
- developing careers learning through engaging science
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
Who is the course leader?
Facilitator To Be Confirmed
At STEM Learning, we are proud to work alongside teachers, technicians and educators to inspire and engage young people of all ages with STEM...
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- develop a deep understanding of the scientific concepts within the primary science curriculum
- lead improvement in the quality of science teaching and learning within your school
- develop your primary science expertise and implement a whole school vision for science
- monitor provision of science, pupil's progress and contribute to the strategic development of learning in school
|Leading and developing primary science expertise - day 1 Face to Face||06 October 2022||11:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Leading and developing primary science expertise - day 2 Face to Face||07 October 2022||09:00-16:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Leading and developing primary science expertise - day 3 Remote||09 November 2022||16:00-18:00||Virtual|
|Leading and developing primary science expertise- day 4 Face to Face||01 December 2022||11:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Leading and developing primary science expertise - day 5 Face to Face||02 December 2022||09:00-16:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Leading and developing primary science expertise - day 6 Remote||07 December 2022||16:00-18:00||Virtual|
|Leading and developing primary science expertise - day 7 Remote||11 January 2023||16:00-18:00||Virtual|
|Leading and developing primary science expertise - day 8 Face to Face||02 February 2023||11:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Leading and developing primary science expertise - day 9 Face to Face||03 February 2023||09:00-16:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
Fees & Bursaries
If the course you would like to attend is fully booked, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in being added to a waiting list. We will contact you when the course is due to run again.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available