A level mathematics and A level physics working collaboratively NY508 / A21
There is significant overlap between the A level mathematics and the A level physics specifications. In this course, a collaboration between STEM Learning and the Advanced Maths Support Programme (AMSP), we bring together two teachers from the same school/college: one with experience of teaching A level mathematics and the other with experience of teaching A level physics, to explore how they may work collaboratively for the benefit of their students.
Participants will consider:
- best practice in supporting students apply level 2 mathematics in a level 3 context
- how mathematics pedagogy can be applied in physics to aid transferability of skills
- how the use of graphing technology can be used consistently in the teaching and learning of each subject
- the benefits of using simple practical activities in the mathematics classroom
- how best to support A level physics students who are not studying A level mathematics
- topics common to both specifications: implications for schemes of learning.
Each teacher from a state funded school is eligible to receive an Enthuse Bursary.
An additional bursary, to cover the whole of the course fees, will be available to schools meeting the following criteria:
- Two teachers, one mathematics teacher and one physics teacher, from the same school attend the course
- if the bursary does not cover the course fees
Who is it for?
The course is designed for one teacher of A level mathematics AND one teacher of A level physics to attend together.
What topics are covered?
- Application of level 2 maths in a level 3 physics context
- The use of physics contexts in A level mathematics lessons
- A comparison of overlapping content
- Common practicals
- The use of graphing technology in mathematics and physics A level
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered face to face with participant tasks to be completed in sessions.
How long is this course?
Who is the course leader?
I have taught mathematics for over 30 years in a variety of secondary schools, to all abilities and age ranges up to and including A level further...
- develop awareness of the mathematics requirements in both A level mathematics and A level physics
- develop strategies to aid students transfer their skills between the two subjects
- support each other to develop the consistent use of practical activities and technology across both departments.
- develop an action plan to cascade their learning throughout their respective departments
|A level mathematics and A level physics working collaboratively - day 1||11 July 2022||11:00-18:30|
|A level mathematics and A level physics working collaboratively - day 2||12 July 2022||09:00-16:00|
This is a collaboration between STEM Learning and the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (AMSP)
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Fees & Bursaries
If the course you would like to attend is fully booked, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in being added to a waiting list. We will contact you when the course is due to run again.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available