Chemistry - Ensuring the basics are taught well RM298 / D82
This course is designed to enable non-chemistry specialists to become more confident in teaching chemistry at KS3 and KS4. It will provide a range of simple, safe and effective practical work as well as addressing the key concepts that form the basis of chemistry.
For non-specialists, chemistry can seem like a collection of unrelated facts. Students find the concepts difficult and misconceptions frequently arise. This course will address both issues.
Session 1 Atoms don’t care
- Probability and random motion to explain sub-microscopic behaviour
- How theories have developed
- Common misconceptions and how to avoid them
- How to successfully present practical demonstrations
Session 2 – Chemical Patterns
- Hook your chemistry to the periodic table
- Groups and Periods – what do they tell us?
- Metals and the Reactivity series
- Base chemistry – and acids!
Session 3 – Energy Matters
- Why do chemical reac5tions occur?
- Misconceptions around exothermic and endothermic reactions
- Types of reactions and writing equations
- What makes practical work in chemistry effective
- Develop a wider understanding of the behaviour of sub-atomic particles
- Appreciate that energy considerations are as important in chemistry as the chemicals themselves
- Make more sense of chemistry by using the patterns and principles available
- Consider the value of practical demonstrations and how to make them more successful
- Consider different – more effective – ways of teaching basic chemistry and take away resources to help with the next day’s lessons
|Chemistry - ensuring the basics are taught well||02 March 2022||09:30-15:30||Heathfield Community College|
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£180.00 +VAT|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£320.00 +VAT|
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available