How to be successful and thriving - STEM Club workshop GM002 / C02
Aimed at experienced STEM Club leaders looking to gain inspiration, ideas, and practical tips for developing a club into a thriving and valuable learning experience for students which is supportive of the schools aims. The course will guide club leaders from assessing the status of their club, needs analysis, through to planning the development steps that will raise the status of the club and help to further support and enthuse both student and club leader learning.
Who is it for?
The workshop is aimed at secondary schools, Sixth Form and FE colleges across England with KS3, KS4 or KS5 provision who are looking to expand or improve their STEM Club offer.
What topics are covered?
The workshop explores the following topics:
- consider the definition of a ‘Thriving and Successful’ club and the STEM Clubs criteria
- how to maintain interest with senior leadership, parents, local industry, community, students and how club leader skills can translate into the classroom
- promoting best practice through support networks and collaboration
- how to enhance student engagement by creating opportunities for responsibility and looking at ways to enhance essential skills and raise careers awareness understanding the benefits of impact, student evaluation and recognition schemes and how to gather evidence
- identifying challenges, competitions, projects, and activities that engage student interest and how to plan activities, adapt projects and avoid potential pitfalls
- adding extra benefit through trips and visitors
- identifying funding sources and grants available nationally, regionally, and locally; and exploring how to apply for grants and understand what information organisations are seeking
- generating opportunities, ideas or projects that could produce funding
- seeking materials and resources and how to approach local companies
How long is this course?
Designed as a remote learning course, it involves two 1-hour webinar sessions led by a STEM Club champion and self-learning tasks.
Who is the course leader?
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- identify successful and thriving factors for your club to focus on that will increase student interest and attendance and reinvigorate support from colleagues and senior management
- identify and embed opportunities to enhance student engagement and capabilities
- plan long term projects and engagement with a broader range of STEM subject projects
- create a plan to generate club funding and improve your grant application skills
- develop a portfolio of evidence, recording the impact and benefits of your club
|How to be successful and thriving - STEM Club workshop||01 March 2022||15:30-17:30||Virtual|
|How to be successful and thriving - STEM Club workshop||02 March 2022||00:00-00:00|
|Gap task||03 March 2022||00:00-00:00|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£80.00 +VAT|
|State-funded school or college||Activity feeFree|
Participants from outside the UK will be charged the course fee and an additional £120 per day plus VAT.
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available