Getting started - STEM club workshop-Yorkshire and Humberside GY001 / C01
The workshops aim is to assist schools to start and sustain STEM subject clubs through their first 18 months. Providing valuable information that will support and guide club leaders. The workshop is aimed at secondary schools, Sixth Form and FE colleges across England with KS3, KS4 and KS5 provision. Designed as an online course it will take place as three sessions across 3-4 days: Session 1: 1 hour interactive session, Session 2: Self-learning tasks and Session 3: 1 hour interactive session. The workshop includes practical activities, opportunities to network and the sharing of best practice. The workshop explores the following topics:
- defining what a STEM Club is and what makes it successful and thriving
- how to gain support from senior leadership, colleagues and other departments
- scrutinising the benefits and impact of clubs, how they enrich the curriculum and enhance student learning
- how to maximise club leaders skill sets and support best practice in the classroom
- where to find support: STEM Ambassadors, parents, colleagues, older students, local industry etc
- where to look for funding and resources and how to ask
- planning your club, needs analysis and methodology; how long, how often, when and where, which age group, how many students etc
- how to advertise and market the club to students and colleagues
- exploring ideas for first activities and longer term projects
- top tips on how to reward students and maintain attendance
- stretching student capabilities, promoting essential skills and knowledge of potential careers
- monitoring success and gathering evidence
Who is the course leader?
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- identify the benefits of your school running a STEM Club for school and the benefits for attendees
- utilise best practice techniques from experienced club leaders to ensure a successful first 18 months, including how to recruit students and gain support from colleagues
- discover potential sources of funding and resources
- explore avenues of support including working with STEM Ambassadors, parents and local industry
|Getting started - STEM club workshop||08 March 2022||15:30-16:30||Virtual|
|Getting started - STEM club workshop||08 March 2022||16:30-17:30|
|Gap task||09 March 2022||15:30-16:00|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£80.00 +VAT|
|State-funded school or college||Activity feeFree|
Participants from outside the UK will be charged the course fee and an additional £120 per day plus VAT.
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available