Assessment of primary computing - invite only CH007 / E01
Effective teaching includes the skilful use of assessment, to check children’s knowledge and understanding, and to overcome misconceptions. Accurate assessment informs adapted teaching, supporting the learning journey through the whole computing curriculum. This CPD aims to improve teachers’ knowledge of their pupils. Through a range of in-lesson and summative assessment approaches you will confidently evaluate learning in computing, in ways that complement teaching across all subjects. You’ll find out what is different about computing, ensuring that your assessment of programming knowledge and skills is accurate. You’ll also consider how to assess computational thinking – the key capability to solve problems using computers. Schools follow a diverse set of assessment policies and practices – this CPD recognises the different school contexts and guides participants to apply techniques and tools that work with, not against, the wider school ethos.
Who is it for?
Teacher and subject leaders of computing in primary schools
What topics are covered?
- Session 1 What are we assessing – develop an improved understanding of the over-arching computing curriculum; the key concepts and skills it contains; and the assessable outcomes in the classroom. Build a toolkit of assessment-for-learning approaches and give better feedback, while reducing workload.
- Session 2 Evaluating the impact of assessment approaches – you’ll be guided through a process of identifying your assessment priorities, and designing a simple assessment approach. You’ll be given tips on how to evaluate the impact of the approach, ensuring that you focus efforts on practices that work, and stop wasting time on those that don’t.
- Session 3 Assessing programming – programming consists of a progression in knowledge, and the skills to apply that knowledge. You’ll discover a range of techniques to assess pupil progress and to embed knowledge, and develop a clear vision of age-related
- Session 4 Assessing computational thinking – after defining more clearly what is meant by computational thinking, you will go on to consider the observable indicators of ability in problem solving with computers. You’ll consider the different aspects of designing algorithms and programmes, and what to look for whether using programmable toys or programming onscreen.
- Session 5 Assessment in the context of your school – Under expert guidance you’ll consider the opportunities to embed improved assessment of computing in your school while aligning with whole-school policy and approaches. You’ll develop a clear action plan, giving you confident to make positive changes that lead to improved assessment with reduced effort.
How will you learn?
This is a blended course, part in-person face-to-face and part remotely-facilitated online.
How long is this course?
The 5 sessions are the equivalent of a day of CPD
Who is the course leader?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- recognise effective techniques for formative and summative assessment.
- understand where these can be best applied, mapped to the Teach Computing curriculum.
- take-away a selection of ready-to-apply tools and techniques to reduce workload.
- confidently lead the improvement of assessment approaches in computing across your school
|Assessment of primary computing - face to face||24 November 2021||13:30-15:00||Virtual|
|Assessment of primary computing||24 November 2021||15:00-15:00||Virtual|
|Assessment of primary computing - face to face||24 November 2021||15:00-16:00||Virtual|
|Assessment of primary computing - remote||30 November 2021||13:30-15:30||Virtual|
|Assessment of primary computing - remote||30 November 2021||15:30-16:00||Virtual|
Fees & Bursaries
Our remote CPD courses for teachers are delivered across a series of sessions run at specific times and dates. Information on all course sessions can be found under the description of each course. To complete a course, all sessions are mandatory.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available