Planning for learning: formative assessment in science and mathematics NE710 / A21
Online, self-paced course. Guided by experts in assessment for learning, you’ll plan to identify your learners’ thinking, clarify learning goals, and fine tune your teaching, so you are better able to progress your students’ understanding, both in and between lessons.
You’ll look at how to plan your teaching based on learners’ starting points, use success criteria, and develop your classroom questioning to adjust your teaching approach and respond to student learning. You’ll also look at medium-term planning and the benefits of working with colleagues as you change your practice.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- planning to gather evidence about your students’ learning
- planning to address misconceptions
- collecting evidence to inform your teaching
- planning to respond to student understanding during lessons
- medium-term planning to respond to student understanding across lessons
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
Who is the course leader?
• Andrea Mapplebeck
• Dylan Wiliam
• Chris Harrison
- explain how evidence-based practices suggest teachers should use formative assessment in a purposeful way
- identify students' starting points and how to plan to move them forward successfully
- demonstrate how to make evidence informed judgements about your students
- apply a range of approaches to respond and adapt teaching during and in between lessons
- develop your planning for flexibility and evidence collecting opportunities (including addressing difficult areas and misconceptions)
- evaluate when and how students will consolidate or move forward their understanding across a sequence of lessons
|Planning for learning: formative assessment in science and mathematics||02 August 2021||00:00-00:00||Online course|
FutureLearn terms and conditions: This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform and you will need to create an account if you do not already have one.
In addition to STEM Learning Terms and Conditions, by booking on this course you are consenting to FutureLearn’s Terms and Conditions for Invited Learners. By booking onto this course, you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common, and that by joining the course on FutureLearn your progress will be monitored by STEM Learning.
If you have booked in advance of the course being available, you will receive an email to access the course on FutureLearn no later than the course start date.
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£150.00 +VAT|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£187.50 +VAT|
Find out how our Online CPD works and how to make the most of your online professional development.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available