Teaching biology: inspiring students with plant science NE206 / A21
Online, self-paced course to develop the way you use plants to teach across the secondary biology curriculum.
The use of plants can provide novel contexts, challenge students’ preconceptions and enrich the curriculum. You will develop your confidence in using plants to teach key biological principles, explore a range of practicals and consider how these can be used to support student learning.
In this course you will improve your subject knowledge in plant science, consider students’ misconceptions and how biological principles are linked across the curriculum. Through practical tasks, you'll help students make links with previous learning, apply their learning to new contexts, and increase engagement.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- practical work in secondary biology for the key topics of: osmosis, respiration and stem cells;
- using inspirational examples from plant science to contextualise the curriculum;
- how making links across the curriculum impacts on students’ learning;
- addressing students’ misconceptions;
- approaches to teaching practical science that can be applied to other topic areas.
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
Who is the course leader?
• Karen Hornby
• Alex Jenkin
• Bev Goodger
Developed in partnership with Science & Plants for Schools.
- modify your scheme of work to incorporate a greater variety of contexts;
- identify opportunities to challenge students’ preconceptions;
- explore the use of plants for teaching key biological principles;
- improve your subject knowledge in plant science.
|Teaching biology: inspiring students with plant science||02 August 2021||00:00-00:00|
FutureLearn terms and conditions: This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform and you will need to create an account if you do not already have one.
In addition to STEM Learning Terms and Conditions, by booking on this course you are consenting to FutureLearn’s Terms and Conditions for Invited Learners. By booking onto this course, you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common, and that by joining the course on FutureLearn your progress will be monitored by STEM Learning.
If you have booked in advance of the course being available, you will receive an email to access the course on FutureLearn no later than the course start date.
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£90.00 +VAT|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£112.50 +VAT|
Find out how our Online CPD works and how to make the most of your online professional development.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available