Enhancing literacy skills in science - 2 days RN212 / B03
7 Jan 22
“There is a growing evidence around the impact of school closures on the learning outcomes of pupils. Research shows a consistent pattern:
- Pupils have made less academic progress compared with previous year groups
- There is a large attainment gap for disadvantaged pupils, which seems to have grown”
(EEF Best evidence on impact of Covid-19 on pupil attainment June 2020)
Recent evidence has identified that improving the literacy skills of our students is impactful on narrowing our gaps. This course will support participants in responding to the “lost learning” and the increased literacy demands in examinations.
Who is the course leader?
You will be able to:
- describe what constitutes effective teaching and learning with respect to literacy
- use an increased repertoire of teaching and learning strategies to enhance students’ literacy skills
- identify the contexts in which students will use exploratory talk and active reading strategies
- reflect on the barriers to good writing
- demonstrate an awareness of the range of writing styles required in science and how they can be developed
*Please note that you can also book onto individual days:
Day 1 - 'ORACY AND ACTIVE READING IN SCIENCE' on 7th January - https://www.stem.org.uk/cpd/499459/enhancing-literacy-skills-science-day-1-only cost £50
Day 2 - 'RESPONDING TO EXAM QUESTIONS AND WRITTEN WORK' on 9th March - https://www.stem.org.uk/cpd/499460/enhancing-literacy-skills-science-day-2-only cost £50
|Day 1 Oracy and Active Reading in Science||07 January 2022||09:30-15:30||The Engine Shed|
|Day 2 Responding to exam questions and written work||09 March 2022||09:30-15:30||The Engine Shed|
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£80.00 +VAT|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£160.00 +VAT|
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available