Developing shared approaches to maths in science and science in maths MY219 / A21
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- working with numbers: rounding, significant figures, standard form
- proportional reasoning: techiques to develop students ability to scale up and scale down applied to units, magnification, compound measures, molar calculations…
- exploring equations: considering different methods of solving linear equations and how these methods may be used to improve students' ability rearrange equations
- interpreting graphs 1: bridging the gap between expectations in mathematics and expectations in science
- interpreting graphs 2: understanding what the gradient of a line means in different contexts
- sketching and drawing graphs: developing techniques to improve graphs drawing skills in science
- trigonometry: exploring an approach to teaching trigonometry with understanding applied in a science context
- practicals for the mathematics classroom
- throughout the course you wll consider how definitions and notation differ in mathematics and science and develop methods to minimise the barriers which make students applying their mathematical skills in a science context challenging
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
Who is the course leader?
I have taught mathematics for over 30 years in a variety of secondary schools, to all abilities and age ranges up to and including A level further...
- understand the similarities and the differences between requirements of the mathematics specification and the requirements of the mathematical content in the science specifications
- develop ideas of what makes good mathematics teaching
- master approaches to teaching mathematical topics common to the mathematics and science curricula
- explore , develop and implement practical, sustainable models for departments working together
- create a joint action plan to be implemented back in school
|Developing shared approaches to maths in science and science in maths - day 1||22 November 2021||11:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Developing shared approaches to maths in science and science in maths - day 2||23 November 2021||09:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Developing shared approaches to maths in science and science in maths - day 3||24 November 2021||09:00-16:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
Fees & Bursaries
If the course you would like to attend is fully booked, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in being added to a waiting list. We will contact you when the course is due to run again.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available