Enhancing employability skills and careers knowledge - STEM Club Workshop GD003 / B02
The workshop will promote opportunities for club leaders to learn how to incorporate and enhance careers knowledge and build skills for students within club sessions. Club leaders will become confident in their understanding and use of STEM Ambassadors, Science Capital, Gatsby Careers Benchmarks, Essential Skills and the Skills Builder Framework. The workshop is open to secondary schools, Sixth Form and FE colleges across England with KS3, KS4 and KS5 provision. Designed as a 2.5 hour session, the workshop includes hands on practical activities, opportunities to network and explores the following topics:
- understanding the value that thriving and successful clubs bring to a school
- current club practice to promote careers, employability and essential skills
- why essential employability skills are important and the role clubs can play
- reviewing the Science Capital approach and how it can be used to raise student awareness of skills and careers knowledge
- identifying essential skills and the methodology of the Skills Builder Framework
- understanding the role and value of STEM Ambassadors and STEM Ambassador Hubs and how to engage with STEM Ambassadors
- reviewing the Gatsby Career Benchmarks and how STEM Clubs can assist in addressing the skills shortage
- embedding Careers and Essential Skills in club activities and projects to maximise value with short, medium and long term goals
- how clubs can reward and add value to students demonstrating excellence in skill sets
- what additional support is available, websites, organisations, STEM Clubs resources
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- improve understanding of the STEM Ambassador programme and how it can support a STEM Club to increase student understanding of potential careers and the place STEM plays in the wider world
- increase understanding of employability skills and how a STEM Club can enhance key skills utilising the Skills Builder Framework, helping to support the schools careers agenda and adherence to the Gatsby Careers Benchmark
- develop skill sets of students by identifying career led roles within projects and identifying opportunities to expand student experiences of potential careers and STEM influences such as STEM fairs, guest speakers, liaising with local companies etc
- increase opportunities to engage parents in STEM Clubs, boost their knowledge of the importance of STEM subjects, their role in the workplace and the wider world
|1 Enhancing employability skills and careers knowledge - STEM Club Workshop||08 March 2021||16:00-18:00|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£80.00 +VAT|
|State-funded school or college||Activity feeFree|
Participants from outside the UK will be charged the course fee and an additional £120 per day plus VAT.
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested In this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available