UPGRADE OFFER: Linking STEM curriculum learning to careers NE712 / A20
Online course. Enhance your role as a STEM (science, technology, engineering or mathematics) subject teacher by linking curriculum learning to careers. Through weekly tasks, you will identify how to adapt your STEM curriculum, engaging your students in careers linked to their classroom learning. Learn from experienced educators who have adapted their teaching, worked with employers and collaborated with local STEM Ambassadors to create a careers-linked curriculum that both engages and inspires students within the STEM subjects.
“We are really pleased to see the development of this course, which helps teachers of STEM subjects embed careers guidance within the curriculum. Supporting teachers in this way will help schools and colleges as they work towards the eight Gatsby Benchmarks and provide excellent career guidance to all their students.” - Beth Jones, Careers Programme Manager, Gatsby Foundation
Join this course
Book onto our Linking curriculum learning to STEM careers online course through the STEM Learning website and you can purchase an upgrade for only £20 + VAT. You will get unlimited access to the course and recognition with a STEM certificate on successful completion.
Usual upgrade price is £52 on FutureLearn.
Join on FutureLearn for free to get time-limited access without a certificate.
Who is it for?
This course has been designed for both secondary teachers and further education lecturers in STEM subjects, with case studies and specific activities for each sector. This is not a careers leadership course, though careers leaders may wish to use this course to provide support for teachers in their school, college or MAT.
What topics are covered?
This four week course covers:
- approaches for reviewing current practice, understanding your students’ careers need and planning a STEM careers learning journey
- adapting your teaching with careers resources to motivate and inspire your students
- engaging with local employers to both raise your students’ aspirations and develop your knowledge about STEM careers
- the wider context of your school or college and the Gatsby Careers Benchmarks
This course takes around three hours per week to complete and you dont need to be online at any specific time.
You will be able to:
- engage students through linking STEM curriculum learning with careers, providing a real-life understanding of your subject and its relevance in future career paths
- create meaningful encounters for students with employers, linked to the teaching of your STEM subject
- improve your curriculum content by applying a STEM careers learning journey approach
- evaluate the impact of linking curriculum learning to careers
- contribute to discussions about careers education in your school or college
|Linking STEM curriculum learning to careers||02 November 2020||00:00-00:00|
This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform. The email address you give when you apply will be used to send you joining instructions and information about your course. Please make sure you can be contacted directly with this email address. You will be asked to create a FutureLearn account with the same email address you register, if you do not already have one.
In addition to STEM Learning Terms and Conditions, by booking on this course you are consenting to your details being shared with FutureLearn under their Terms and Conditions for Invited Learners. By booking onto this course, you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common, and your progress on this course will be monitored by STEM Learning.
If you have booked in advance of the course being available, you will receive access to the course on FutureLearn no later than the course start date.
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£20.00 +VAT|
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£20.00 +VAT|
Participants from outside the UK will be charged the course fee and an additional £120 per day plus VAT.
Find out how our Online CPD works and how to make the most of your online professional development.
Interested In this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available