Teaching for home learning: secondary science NE211 / C19
Due to COVID-19 related school closures around the world, many teachers are having to adjust their teaching.
Whilst teaching remotely may be new, this course will help you to develop new online and offline teaching strategies for supporting learning at home and at a distance. You’ll consider the issues of student engagement, time management, assessment and feedback, and the role of parents, as well as how to keep up with practical science activities.
You’ll draw upon the resources you already have, use a variety of asynchronous teaching and learning tools, and collaborate with other teachers in designing teaching sequences.
Who is this course for?
This is a professional development course for teachers of science to students aged 11-19 years, who are providing support for students to learn at home. Heads of science departments may also find this course useful to devise their approach to home teaching.
If you are a primary teacher, please join NE006.
What subjects are covered on the course?
- setting expectations for time management and learning routines
- planning for synchronous and asynchronous learning
- simple tools to support home learning tasks
- assessing student learning remotely and providing feedback
- teaching practical science remotely
What are the learning outcomes for this course?
- design an approach to teaching secondary science, with offline and online activities to support students learning from home
- evaluate a range of teaching strategies and tools, appropriate to your teaching context and teaching remotely
- plan assessment and feedback opportunities to support home learning
- reflect on the role of parents in supporting home learning
Who are the course leaders?
This course is led by Karen Hornby, STEM Learning.
This course has been developed by the Subject Expert Team at The National STEM Learning Centre.
|Teaching for home learning: secondary science||06 July 2020||00:00-00:00|
|State-funded school or college||Activity feeFree|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity feeFree|
Interested In this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available