CLEAPSS Health and Safety Management for Heads of Science RA405 / F01
The main emphasis of this one‐day course is on management issues and risk assessment. It is intended for heads of science, their deputies, heads of physics, chemistry and biology and those aspiring to such posts.
The objectives for the day are to:
- raise awareness of current and significant safety issues in science teaching
- develop a better understanding of what is required by health and safety legislation
- consider the implications of this for the management of safety in science departments
- consider the risk assessment process, as required by the management regs, COSHH regs and other
- understand the uses of a safety policy and how it can be monitored
- devise an action plan
The day will be a mixture of input from the trainer, discussions and a variety of activities intended to enhance participants' understanding of the legislative framework and how it applies in schools, especially risk assessment.
Common and not so common, but more serious, accidents which occur in school science will be examined along with a discussion of the implications for management. There will be plenty of opportunities for participants to identify their own areas of concern.
Legal requirements for risk assessment both in the curriculum and in the prep room will be considered.
Included in the package will be checklists which heads of department or other senior managers could use to audit their school's processes and procedures.
By the end of the day participants:
- will have explored in detail what health and safety legislation requires and what it does not
- will have considered what constitutes a sensible, manageable and effective approach to risk assessment
- will appreciate the need for a health and safety policy
- will have considered how its implementation can be sensibly monitored
|Health and Safety Management for Heads of Science||29 January 2019||09:15-16:00||City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£125.00|
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£125.00|
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available