Biology summer school NS201 / A18
Building on the success of previous events, the 2018 Summer School will focus on practical work to support revised programmes (Higher and Advanced Higher) in Biology and Human Biology. Laboratory sessions will follow an interactive approach aligned to the broad themes of the programmes.
Practical work will be supported by keynote presentations from external speakers. Combined with opportunities for professional networking, the Summer School offers participants a rich and vibrant programme that will enhance teaching and learning within their institutions.
The new CfE Highers were introduced in August 2014. SSERC has an important role in offering support for new curriculum initiatives across the sciences and our Summer School for Biology teachers is a key component of that support. Substantial professional development support is required particularly in relation to new practical activities which form an essential part of these new programmes of study.
To apply for this course please contact SSERC directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will forward you the necessary information. Shortly after the published closing date for applications the Administration Team at SSERC will send to successful applicants:
- confirmation of an offer of a place on the course together with details on enrolment procedures
- information on ENTHUSE bursary and how to apply for such a bursary
- a set of terms and conditions which you must meet in order to qualify for an ENTHUSE bursary
If you are a supply teacher you may still qualify for an ENTHUSE bursary – please contact SSERC to establish your eligibility
Participants will be able to:
- develop strategies for making the teaching of post-16 biology and human biology more engaging and inspiring
- explore new creative approaches to practical work in post-16 biology and human biology
- describe developments in some key areas of contemporary biology relevant to post-16 learners
- develop support networks for their own personal and professional development
- share and exchange information about current national developments
|Biology Summer School - Day 1||25 June 2019 09:30-20:00|
|Biology Summer School - Day 2||26 June 2019 09:00-20:00|
|Biology Summer School - Day 3||27 June 2019 09:00-14:30|
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£540.00||Standard bursary available*£480.00|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£540.00|
* Your school or college will receive the bursary on successful completion of the CPD and impact toolkit. Find out more.
Participants from outside the UK will be charged the course fee and an additional £120 per day plus VAT.
Check your School bursary status
The bursary value may be higher for your school or college.
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested In this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available