Teaching primary science: getting started NE708 / B18
Online course. Three hours per week. Three week duration
Develop your confidence to tackle practical science in the primary classroom. Perfect for those who are new to teaching primary science or those who would like to develop their skills. We will support you to explore a range of techniques to deliver primary science in an engaging and practical way. Explore the different types of enquiry and learn how to embed them in science teaching. You will trial activities and think about the impact they have upon the learning of your pupils.
You will look at:
- managing practical science in the primary classroom
- resourcing practical science easily
- identifying types of enquiry
- embedding practical science in planning
- exploring activities which spark curiosity
- developing thinking and reasoning skills
Primary science is the first opportunity to develop your pupils’ curiosity in the world. It is the starting point for building their science capital and studies suggest that by engaging pupils in practical work frequently, they will have a greater understanding and enjoyment of science.
You will be able to:
- develop confidence in carrying out practical science for 5-11 year olds
- explore ideas for effective practical work in primary science
- recognise the types of enquiry and when to use them
- investigate activities which engage children in learning about science
- create opportunities for developing thinking and reasoning through science
The email address you give when you apply will be used to send you joining instructions and information about your course. Please make sure you can be contacted directly with this email address.
This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform. In booking on this course you are consenting to your details being shared by the with FutureLearn under these terms & conditions. By accepting the National STEM Learning Centre’s invitation to register on this course (joining instructions), you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common.
Before applying click here to read booking Terms and Conditions