Teaching practical science: biology NE707 / B18
There are only so many ways a student can look at an onion cell, so how do we engage students with biology practicals? It is essential that students studying biology are given the opportunity to practice and embed understanding of practical skills in preparation for assessment of their learning. This free online course allows you to discuss the relationship between theoretical concepts and practical work, challenging you to think about what is happening in the classroom and what your students are learning through practical work in biology. Develop and share creative ways of teaching practical biology with approaches that are applicable to a range of curricula, for example GCSE required practicals and other practical syllabuses for 14-16 year old students.
- practical work for 14-16 year olds for the following key topics: enzymes, microscopy, microbiology
- contextualising practical work in biology to the everyday environment
- how progression in practical work impacts on students’ learning
- assessment of learning through practical work
- approaches to teaching practical science that can be applied to other topic areas
You will be able to:
- improve your confidence in delivering and evaluating teaching for practical skills in biology for 14-16 year olds
- define effective learning outcomes for practical work in biology
- reflect on the effectiveness of practical activities on every students’ learning
- design progression and assessment approaches within practical work
- collaborate with peers, educators and mentors to share and critique ideas for teaching practical science
The email address you give when you apply will be used to send you joining instructions and information about your course. Please make sure you can be contacted directly with this email address.
This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform. In booking on this course you are consenting to your details being shared by the with FutureLearn under these terms & conditions. By accepting the National STEM Learning Centre’s invitation to register on this course (joining instructions), you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common.
Before applying click here to read booking Terms and Conditions