Planning for learning in STEM teaching NE710 / A18
Learn how to plan your teaching to include ways to unpick your students' understanding and produce evidence to progress learning in a dynamic fashion. Led by experts in assessment for learning Dylan Wiliam, Chris Harrison and Andrea Mapplebeck.
We'll start by introducing formative assessment as a means for collecting evidence to tailor student learning. We'll look at identifying students’ starting points before exploring ways to tune teaching approaches and techniques for responding to student learning. Finally we look at medium term planning and planning with colleagues.
This course is aimed at science and mathematics teachers across all phases.
Participants will not need to have any prior experience other than planning for and facilitating lessons that they themselves teach. To maximise your learning and results, we recommend participating in the first course in the STEM Teaching program, Assessment for Learning.
You will be able to:
- explain how evidence-based practices suggest teachers should use formative assessment in a purposeful way
- identify students' starting points and how to plan to move them forward successfully
- demonstrate how to make evidence informed judgements about your students
- apply a range of approaches to respond and adapt teaching during and in between lessons
- develop your planning for flexibility and evidence collecting opportunities (including addressing difficult areas and misconceptions)
- evaluate when and how students will consolidate or move forward their understanding across a sequence of lessons
This online CPD has been developed by the National STEM Learning Centre. It gives you the opportunity to learn with three leading experts in STEM education and assessment:
Dylan Wiliam: Emeritus Professor of Educational Assessment at the Institute of Education and author of Embedded Formative Assessment.
Christine Harrison: Senior Lecturer in Science Education at King’s College London, Chair of the Association for Science Education, and former secondary school teacher.
Andrea Mapplebeck: Educational Consultant, Formative Education Ltd and former secondary school teacher.
The email address you give when you apply will be used to send you joining instructions and information about your course. Please make sure you can be contacted directly with this email address.
This online course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform. By booking on this course you are consenting to your details being shared by the with FutureLearn under their Terms and Conditions for Invited Learners. By accepting the National STEM Learning Centre’s invitation to register on this course on FutureLearn, you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common. The invitation to register on FutureLearn will be sent to you no later than the course start date.