Visibility, outreach and professional development - network event HE001 / A05
Presentations and interactive workshops for identifying available opportunities and developing strategies for maximising potential.
Venue: Room G.01, Veterinary teaching building (marked as number 1 on the campus map). Parking is available in the car park next to the teaching building.
- 10:15 - 10:45 Tea, coffee and networking
- 10:45 - 10:50 Welcome and introduction - Val Gordon, HEaTED Scotland Network Coordinator
- 10:50 - 11:30 HEaTED update - Dr Katherine Forsey, HEaTED Membership and Networks Manager
- 11:30 - 12:15 Raising the profile of technical staff in your institution - Dr Katherine Forsey, HEaTED Membership and Networks Manager
- 12:15 - 12:45 Setting up an outreach event: Update from St Andrews - Henry Rae, Senior Teaching Technician at University of Andrews
- 12:45 - 13:15 Lunch
- 13:15 - 13:35 University of Edinburgh social responsibility and sustainability - Andrew Arnott, Labs Sustainability Coordinator
- 13:35 - 14:00 University of Edinburgh Institute for Academic Development: What's available for technicians? - Sara Shinton, Head of Research Development | IAD Assistant Director at University of Edinburgh
- 14:00 - 14:30 CPD, professional registration and us - Jon Kelly, Laboratories Manager at University of Edinburgh. Emma Boyd, Clinical Skills Teaching Technician, Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies. Marianne Keith, Research Technician, Roslin Institute
- 14:30 - 14:50 Overview/summary/conclusions/action points/action planning
- 14:50 - 15:00 Evaluation form completion
- 15:00 - 15:30 Optional tour of facility 'From labradors to laboratories - a look at the teaching areas of the Vet School'. A walk around the labs, dissection room, study landscape and clinical skills lab of the school, time can be spent in the clinical skills lab being shown how the resus dog or the blood giving manikins work and how students develop their techniques on models.
- raised awareness of HEaTED services and support
- strategies for CPD and career structure development
- professional registration - improved support and increased applications
- group commitment to increase visibility and improve professional development of Scottish technical professionals
|Visibility, outreach and professional development - network event||30 May 2017 10:15-15:30|
Lunch and refreshments are provided.